Interlibrary Loan FAQ
What items can be requested through ILL?
Books and journal articles are the most frequently requested items.
No textbook lending or borrowing.
No loaning or borrowing of DVD’s or audiobooks.
If you have any questions please contact interlibrary loan staff at your nearest location.
North Meridian Campus:
How long will I have to wait for something to arrive?
- Books can take up to two weeks to arrive depending on where the item is coming from. Articles can usually be obtained in one to two business days. In rare cases copyright restrictions (i.e., libraries have to print and mail articles instead of using electronic methods) can delay the arrival of an article.
How am I notified about my requests?
- Patrons will be notified by email or phone when an item arrives. To check the status of a request contact interlibrary loan staff at the campus where the request was placed.
Where do I pick up my books, articles, etc.?
- Interlibrary loan items are picked up and returned at the circulation desk of the campus where the request was placed. Copies of articles are yours to keep.
- ILL privileges may be revoked for a repeated pattern of lost items or failing to pick up requested items.
Can I request textbooks?
- No, textbooks cannot be borrowed from other libraries.
Are there any charges for using ILL?
- No. We request items from libraries that lend materials free of charge.
Can I renew my ILL books?
- If the book is not currently overdue interlibrary loan staff will place a renewal request with the lending library. Interlibrary loan staff will notify patron with a new due date.
Are there overdue ILL fines?
- Overdue fines and lost items fines will be calculated by the library and will follow the same policy for non-ILL checkouts.. Items will be declared lost at ten days and a hold will be placed on the patron’s account. Fines can increase if the lending library sends a bill for unreturned or damaged items.
How long can I keep my ILL books?
- All books loaned to other libraries from Ivy Tech Central Indiana Libraries will check out for 8 weeks.
- All books borrowed from other libraries for Ivy Tech Central Indiana students will have the due date determined by the lending library.
How can I request items through interlibrary loan?
- Ivy Tech faculty, staff, and students can place interlibrary loan requests in person at either the Lawrence or North Meridian Campus libraries.
- Patrons can also order materials through WorldCat. You may be prompted to login with Campus Connect information if you are off-campus.
- You can search for materials by keyword, author, title, ISBN, etc. Click on the title of the item you’d like to request and select, “Borrow this item from another library.” You will be taken to a page where you will be prompted to enter your contact information. Additionally, please select either Lawrence or North Meridian Campus as your preferred pick-up location