- Consider the Source - Click away from the story to investigate the site, its mission and its contact info.
- Check the Author - Do a quick search on the author. Are they credible? Are they real?
- Check the Date - Re-posting old news stories doesn't mean they're relevant to current trends.
- Check your Biases - Consider if your own beliefs could affect your judgment.
- Read Beyond - Headlines can be outrageous in an effort to get clicks. What's the whole story?
- Supporting Sources? Click on those links. Determine if the info given actually supports the story.
- Is it a Joke? If it is too outlandish, it might be satire. Research the site and author to be sure.
- Ask the Experts - Ask a librarian, or consult a fact-checking site.
(From the International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions)
For an example of Fake News, see this example.
For an example of Website that is not credible, click here.