From your NRSG 115 Project description, the culture presentation should include:
Nursing Considerations must be included throughout the entire presentation. This information must include what is required to provide culturally competent healthcare to clients in the United States and must be relevant to today’s society. The presentation should be written as if you are the nurse walking into the room to provide care to a culturally diverse client. Role-playing is highly recommended.
- Background: why the group relocated to the US, economic factors, religion, education, occupation, military experience, residence, gender issues, immigration issues, communication, temporal relationships (time), format for names
- Family Dynamics: head of household, who makes decisions, gender roles, child bearing/rearing practices, goals & priorities, alternate lifestyles
- Folk and Traditional Healthcare: high risk behaviors, healthcare practices
- Values and Beliefs: death rituals, spirituality, religion, healthcare beliefs/behaviors. barriers to healthcare, cultural beliefs, practices, restrictions
- Food and Nutrition: meaning of food, common foods and rituals, dietary practices for health promotion, deficiencies and limitations
- Common health problems r/t biology, lifestyle, nutrition, beliefs
Presentation Requirements - see Presentation Resources tab for help with PowerPoint and other software
- 20 to 30 minutes in length
- Be creative with additional educational aids for kinesthetic learners: poster, hand-outs, samples, skits, food/snacks, etc.
- Presentation must include in-text citations on each slide and references at the end using APA 7th ed. formatting. This is a requirement per the Ivy Tech Community College School of Nursing.
- Final draft to be uploaded to Canvas for instructor review on Week 4. Final submission due Week 5.