Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Before you search...
- Determine your topic or what information you are looking for
- Choose as many descriptive search terms or keywords as you can
- Developing a list of keywords is a good practice for any research project.
- Too few words may give poor results
- Select nouns and avoid words ignored by search engines, also called stop words
- Explore your Search Settings to set your Google preferences
- Setting a safe search filter, number of results per page, view or edit your search history
- Learn to use the Google Toolbar to set up personal settings like bookmarks for your favorite pages
Google search conventions...
- Google ignores most punctuation and symbols except:
- Dollar sign when used to indicate price
- Fiat car $500 gives different results than Fiat car 500
- Hyphen when used to connect words.
- Symbols used to convey meaning
- programming languages :C++
- musical terms: G#
- Symbols used in social media
- Use hanshtags (#) in front of a word: #throwbackthursday
- Use at symbols (@) in front of a word: @twitter
- Searches are not case sensitive
- Keywords or search terms can be entered in lower or UPPER case or a coMBinatiON
- Exception: Boolean operator OR must be in all caps
- Word order matters
- Google ranks the first word slightly higher than the second, the second slightly more than the third, etc.
- Google uses automatic word stemming
- Google searches for all possible word variations
- Diet returns results for diets dieting dietary
Library Mission Statement:
The Ivy Tech Community College Libraries are full partners in the educational and workforce development mission of the College. The libraries teach research strategies, support the curriculum, and encourage independent and lifelong learning by providing the space, information resources, instruction, and related services essential for academic success. The Libraries advance information literacy, critical thinking, and collaborative learning in a welcoming environment that promotes, and is enriched by, the diverse cultural and intellectual interests of students, faculty, and community.
Phone: 219-464-8514 ext. 3021
Ivy Tech - Valparaiso © 2019 Ivy Tech Community College Libraries