What is Zoom?
• Online meeting and collaboration platform
• Zoom replaced GoToMeeting on May 22nd, 2019 as the College’s Online Meeting Platform
Zoom offers more features…
• Larger default room size (up to 100 participants)
• Polls ability in all Zoom meetings
• IvyLearn integration
• Student Accounts – students can meet virtually with fellow students
• Breakout Rooms
How could you use it in your course?
• Record your lectures
• Create recordings to supplement course content
• 1-on-1 instruction or tutoring
• Virtual office hours
• Hold class virtually in case of inclement weather and record it too
How to get to it so you can host a meeting?
• Application Installed on Ivy Tech Computers (Windows Start menu > Zoom > Zoom)
• Access through Zoom Website using your Ivy Tech credentials: https://ivytech.zoom.us
• Download to your Windows or Mac based computer: https://ivytech.zoom.us/download
• Download to your mobile device through iOS and Android App stores
Configure Profile and Settings
• Upload your profile picture and enter contact info (add a face to your account).
o Click “Profile” link in the left-hand navigation.
o Click “Change” under the profile picture icon.
o Upload your picture.
o Click “Edit” to the right of your contact information to bring up the editable fields as seen below.
o Click “Save Changes”.
o Scroll down to the “Date and Time” section and update your time zone.
Recommended Meeting Settings (click “Settings” in the left-hand navigation)
Recommended Recording Settings (click “Settings” in the left-hand navigation, then “Recording” at the top of the Settings page)
How to Join or host a meeting?
• Joining a meeting
o Click the “Join” button and enter the meeting ID when prompted.
• Host an impromptu meeting
o Click the “Host” button and the meeting will begin immediately.
• Schedule a meeting.
o Click the “Sign in” button, once authenticated, click the “Schedule a New Meeting” button.
• How to schedule meetings within an IvyLearn Course? (see IvyLearn Integration Instructions below)
Things to know about Host and Participant Views
• Participant and Chat windows are not displayed by default!
o Participant window allows you to see who is present in meeting and see/perform nonverbal feedback.
o Chat window allows users to chat and perform file transfers.
o When sharing, toolbar may move, you can re-position.
o Polling (Use of polling or polling options).
Host can view/share results.
• Local vs. “In the cloud.”
o Highly Recommended to use “Cloud Recordings”!!!
• What is available in the recording?
o Screen share
o Chat transcript (excludes shared files in chat)
o Audio transcript can be produced if enabled in settings.
• How to bring Zoom into your course? (Two options)
o Option #1: Add Zoom to your navigation menu for direct integration.
o Option #2: Use the shareable links from within your Zoom account (https://ivytech.zoom.us) to post content within your course.
• Instructor vs. Student views of Zoom meetings within the IvyLearn direct integration option.
o Instructors: can access all Zoom meetings/recordings on their account.
o Students: only see Zoom content the instructor scheduled from within the course.
• What meetings appear in the integration for students?
o Only meetings scheduled by the instructor within the course.
• Tip to get recordings to appear within the direct integration.
o Log into Zoom application on your computer before starting meeting from within your course.
Best practices for bringing recorded content into the course
• How to post recorded content in a course.
o Create a module, assignment, etc.
o How to best share other files that were part of the presentation?
PowerPoints, Documents, etc.
Upload to Google Drive or other cloud-based storage and share.
• Do cloud recordings show-up for students automatically?
Got questions you don't see an answer to here? The Educational Technology staff will be happy to help! Click the photo or use the email listed below to connect.
Educational Technology Assistant